Wisconsin State Law Library

Serving the Wisconsin Supreme Court and State of Wisconsin

Skip to content

Website Catalog

Library Highlights

May 28, 2013

BadgerLink Scheduled Maintenance

BadgerLink databases, like Academic Search Premier and Newspaper Source Plus, may be unavailable between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Tuesday, May 28th. During this time, scheduled server maintenance may make databases unavailable for one to two hours.

This maintenance will not affect access to the Hein Online Law Journal Library or LegalTrac. For a list of all databases available with your library card, see our Articles & Journals page.

May 27, 2013

WSLL Recommends: Accomodating Disabilities

Accommodating Disabilities: Business Management Guide is a three-volume, loose-leaf set from CCH / Wolters Kluwer designed to help business owners understand and comply with ADA requirements.

Helping employees who are disabled is often the first requisite that comes to mind in this area of the law. However, other areas of concern to business owners – access to public facilities, transportation accessibility, and telecommunication services are also covered in this set.

Users will find a wide variety of practical and useful information, such as compliance planning checklists and guidance. Just a few examples include accommodating employees with brain injuries, allergies, lung disorders, learning disorders, and diabetes; construction checklists for fixed / built-in seating, drinking fountains, public telephones, and ATMs; and transportation standards for light rail, buses, vans, bus stops, and airports.

In addition, this set includes reprints of federal law and regulations, summaries of state laws, and guidelines of the Architectural and Transportation Barriers and Compliance Board ("Access Board").

A "New Developments" section and monthly newsletter provide information on case law, rule revisions, disability rights, and litigation.

May 23, 2013

Dane County Legal Resource Center Closed

The Dane County Legal Resource Center (DCLRC) is closed on Friday, May 24th for a Dane County furlough day. The DCLRC will also be closed on Monday, May 27th for the Memorial Day holiday, along with the Wisconsin State Law Library and Milwaukee Legal Resource Center.

If you need assistance while the DCLRC is closed, please contact the Wisconsin State Law Library at 608-267-9696 or Ask a Librarian online. The DCLRC will reopen on Tuesday, May 28th.

May 22, 2013

Libraries Closed on Memorial Day

The Wisconsin State Law Library, Milwaukee Legal Resource Center, and Dane County Legal Resource Center will be closed on Monday, May 27th in observance of Memorial Day.

To send a question to the Wisconsin State Law Library while we are closed, call us at 608-267-9696 or Ask a Librarian online.

We will respond to questions and requests on Tuesday, May 28th.

May 21, 2013

Finding Vital Records

A recent USA.gov blog post on how to replace five common vital records got us thinking about frequent questions we get related to these types of records. 

Image by Tom Ventura from Denver, CO, USA (Flickr)
[CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
Where can I get copies of a birth or death certificate?

For birth or death certificates issued in Wisconsin contact the WI Vital Records Office or the county's Register of Deeds office. See our Vital Records topic for links to more information on obtaining these records.

Where can I get copies of a marriage, divorce, or domestic partnership declaration or termination certificate?

For marriages, divorces, or domestic partnerships in Wisconsin, contact the WI Vital Records Office or the county's Register of Deeds office. See our Vital Records topic for links to more information on obtaining these records.

Can I file a copy of my foreign marriage or divorce in Wisconsin?

No. Marriage or divorce certificates that were not issued in Wisconsin do not get filed with any Wisconsin vital records office. For more information, see the Marriages Abroad / Out of State section of our Marriage legal topic page.

Where can I get proof that I have not been married?

Contact the WI Vital Records Office to request a Letter of Non-Marriage. See their website for more information.

I'm changing my name. Where do I need to update my name?

We include links for several popular agencies people may need to contact to update their name on our Name Change legal topic page.

Can somebody make a photocopy of a birth, death, marriage, or domestic partnership certificate?

The Attorney General stated in a 1989 AG Opinion #78, "Section 69.24(1)(a) was enacted in apparent response to a substantial increase in the practice of obtaining and using false identification documents by manipulating the existing system. For example, it was easy for a person to procure a photocopy of a birth certificate from a source other than discussed in chapter 69. This certificate, which might be accurate or already altered, could be altered to provide a new identity or other erroneous identifying information……. The Legislature obviously determined that this evil and its consequences could only be prevented by a strict measure which makes copying per se a criminal violation unless done under the authority of subchapter I of chapter 69."

You can request a certified copy from the WI Vital Records Office.

Schools can use the following form from the WI Register of Deeds Association to pull information from a certified copy of a birth certificate: Annotation of birth facts abstracted from certified copy of birth certificate.

May 14, 2013

Summer CLE

Two of our popular CLE legal research classes are coming up in June and July.

Learn tips for how to research legislative history in Researching Wisconsin Legislative History: Sources and Strategies, scheduled for June 18th. Get a comprehensive survey of free public records resources in our July 23rd class, Finding Wisconsin Public Records.

Find out more about each class and sign up at our legal research classes page: http://wilawlibrary.gov/learn/classes.html

May 7, 2013

Downtown Madison Map and Guide

Find the Wisconsin State Law Library in the new downtown Madison map and guide from the Madison Central Business Improvement District. Find us listed under "Museums and Libraries."

Free maps are available at the circulation and reference desks. Stop by and pick one up!

May 1, 2013

WSLL at Your Service: May 2013

New classes are announced in our May newsletter. Be sure to sign up before classes fill up! Other news items include: 

Blog Archive