Each NBI legal training program is developed and taught by practicing professionals and includes course materials prepared by those same professionals. NBI provides them as downloadable PDFs, CD-ROMs, or printed publications. Sometimes the material consists of only an annotated outline, but often it's a complete narrative accompanied by excerpts from applicable statutes and court opinions. The addition of sample forms, letters and checklists gives the reader useful, practical knowledge in a particular type of case or area of the law.
NBI materials have been part of the WSLL collection for many years. Since 2006 we've purchased 20 to 25 new NBI titles every year through a standing order arrangement with the publisher. A search of the online catalog retrieves nearly 200 NBI titles, all of which may be borrowed by WSLL cardholders.
To illustrate the variety of coverage and practical focus of NBI publications, here are some of the titles WSLL has purchased so far this year:
- Accounting basics for attorneys
- Advanced discovery and evidence
- Advanced issues in custody and support
- Advanced social security benefits update
- Handling a social security eisability case
- Handling complex auto insurance coverage disputes
- Helping your client buy or sell a small- to medium-sized business
- Mechanics of Wisconsin civil procedure
- Protecting the creditor's rights during bankruptcy
- Wisconsin foreclosures and workouts
- Wisconsin special education law
- Your family law practice in the 21st century