"Shakespeare's Hamlet uses it to mean something compact when he says, 'I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams'."Good ol' Shakespeare!
At the law library, we're very used to seeing this idiom in the context of the the popular Nutshell series. Nutshells are intended to provide a short summary of the law and pertinent resources on particular topic areas.
Some of our most checked out Nutshells are currently:
- Criminal law in a nutshell
- Legal research in a nutshell
- Negotiable instruments and check collection in a nutshell
- Wills and trusts in a nutshell
- Professional responsibility in a nutshell
- Law of corporations in a nutshell
- Constitutional civil rights in a nutshell
- Consumer protection law in a nutshell